1. So I’ve recently discovered the joys of Crash Course by vlogbrothers John and Hank Green who, if you don’t already know who they are, you really should. I prefer the history videos to the biology ones, mainly because I know virtually nothing about history and quite a bit about biology. Plus maybe I like John better.
2. In that same vein, I’ve also discovered the joys of closed captioning for YouTube and Netflix (ingenuity, 1; APD, 0) although I’ve noticed that Netflix’s tends to get out of sync pretty quickly. At any rate, CC is especially helpful since our apartment gets pretty noisy with the windows open and the fans running.
3. Let’s talk about food. While I was on set last Thursday, the Coolhaus truck paid us a visit and all the background actors got free cookies & ice cream! I got a snickerdoodle & caramel ice cream sandwich, which kind of blew my mind. Like a lot.
4. As I mentioned in my vanilla bean soda post, Andy and I paid a visit to Galco’s Soda Pop Stop on Saturday after happening upon this video that morning. It was pretty much the Mecca of soda lovers, so needless to say Andy was in heaven. They also happened to carry Ale8, which I remember from my years living in Kentucky. Kentuckians claim you can’t get it anywhere outside the state… well, obviously, they’re wrong. It has caffeine, unfortunately, but at least I know where to direct Ale8-deprived alums who live out here.
5. We spent the rest of the weekend in OC, and for dinner went to this really cool restaurant called True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach. Their edamame ravioli was to DIE for and I’m now secretly obsessed with trying to recreate it. Their dessert menu also had a lot of non-chocolate options, so I opted for a lemon tart with coconut cream. If an armed gunman had burst into the restaurant at the end of our meal, I would have died happy.
6. Besides doing laundry and making a requisite trip to Go Bananaz, we also dyed my hair. Note to self: it is not a good idea to have someone put color in your hair while there is a dog sitting in your lap. Mel got a bath, but she still has a pinkish stripe on her head from where the dye dripped.
7. We finally got around to staining/painting/glazing/whatever our kitchen table & chairs!
They look pretty good, and you can still see the wood grain underneath, which is nice. It just means that I’ve had to take all my food pictures out on the balcony while it dries.
8. It’s been a week now since I’ve had any work, and I’m starting to go a little stir crazy! I’m also more than a little desperate to start getting checks in the mail. Come to me, moneys!
9. I tried very hard to make you guys a cheesecake on Monday, but kind of ended up destroying it. I hate it when science interferes with my otherwise perfectly laid plans!
Lies. Actually, I love science, even if it means I completely botch my recipes sometimes. And I promise that this weekend, I’ll have something even better than a cheesecake for you!
10. Remember how I told you a few weeks back that my keyboard was dying a slow and painful death? Well, it hasn’t stopped dying:
Thi is what it llookks ike when I type llike a noraal person
See? So you can imagine all the fervid key-punching and backspacing that goes into making every sentence comprehensible. I’m not really sure how to proceed with fixing it or if I should look into getting it fixed at all because I’m probably due for a new computer anyway. Plus I can’t afford either.
11. Also, I need this.